13 January 2010

Curses - Laura

God said some hard words to his first children, Adam and Eve, he said, "Cursed are you..." (Gen. 2:14) Then God gave the law to Moses, adding additional curses, including, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." (Gal. 3:10, Deut. 27:26). Oh, good, more curses, as if I wasn't already feeling cursed enough! I don't think about this much, it's heavy. I don't know how I feel about being cursed by God! Because of this curse, God promises that I will live a cursed life and then I will die. Anyone who has ever stubbed his toe on the corner of the sofa knows, as he hops on one foot cursing everything in sight, knows that life is messed up, painful, frustrating...cursed!

"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us." (Gal. 3:13)

Or, read the same verse from The Message:
"Christ redeemed us from that self-defeating, cursed life by absorbing it completely into himself...He became a curse, and at the same time dissolved the curse."

Christ became a curse, absorbing and dissolving the curse. Christ, who walked around, drank wine with his friends, had conversations, laughed, joked...became a curse. Only God is big enough to absorb his own curse. And, thanks be to God, he is willing. God has done it already. On a cross. Once for all!

"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Gal. 6:14)

Peace,

Laura


Image: The Yellow Christ, Paul Gauguin 1889

No comments: