02 February 2010

Love Poems - Laura

I have lingered over Song of Solomon, waiting for something to happen, but its hard to know what to say. I feel like most people ignore or overlook Song of Solomon for a number of reasons but first and foremost because people don’t understand it, don’t think it’s important. Most people overlook this part of the Bible because they don’t have any idea what true love really is, are desperately disappointed by the relationships they have and don’t like to read poetry anyway. Who wants to read an intimate conversation between a lover and his beloved, when you could never imagine saying anything like that to anyone?

Let’s pause for a moment over the fact that one of the most beautiful and intimate pieces of erotic, romantic poetry ever written is IN THE BIBLE. Wow! Most love poetry is written from a single perspective and is concerned with one of two things: the lamentation of love lost or the hope for “better” love in the future.

But Song of Solomon is different:
Beloved: I am my lover’s and my lover is mine
Lover: You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride;
You have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes,
With one jewel of your necklace.
How delightful is your love, my sister, my bride!
Beloved: I belong to my lover and his desire is for me.
Now. Present tense. No regret, no waiting and wishing. This love is real.

Another thing I notice is the way that others are invited to observe this epic love affair. Friends comment on the relationship, question the lovers, and reflect on the depth of their love. This relationship flows out beyond two people only. Love, according to Song of Solomon, is faithful but not isolating. Passion begets passion! (Galatians 4:18-20!!!)

Here are a couple of other poems about love, some of the few that reflect this immortal, unswerving, unselfish, life-giving love:

“MINE by the right of the white election!
Mine by the royal seal!
Mine by the sign in the scarlet prison
Bars cannot conceal!

Mine, here in vision and in veto!
Mine, by the grave’s repeal
Titled, confirmed, -delirious charter!
Mine, while the ages steal!”

-Emily Dickinson

“You say you want diamond and ring of gold
You say you want our story to remain untold
All the promises we made
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you.”

-U2

I want this kind of love to take root in my heart:
“Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like a blazing fire,
like a mighty flame.
Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

-Peace,
Laura Cottrell

No comments: