18 February 2010

Thoughts on 2 Timothy - Laura

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.  People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God--having a form of godliness but denying its power." (2 Timothy 3:1-5)

What does it mean to have a form of godliness but to deny its power? 

What is godliness?

I am struck by the forcefulness of these words in 2 Timothy because they do a pretty good job of describing most people these days.  (yes, even people in churches.)  Maybe there's more to godliness than merely being good.  Maybe it has more to do with being like God himself, in all the mystery of what that means...if so, I'm thinking it will be a good idea to get to know the God I profess to imitate.  I do know him but as I get to know him better, hopefully, I will see a little bit more of the power of godliness at work in my life!!!

Peace,
Laura Cottrell

No comments: